Thursday, August 5, 2010

Words

From our wedding.

DSC01452

Marriage is a vital social institution.  The exclusive commitment of two individuals to each other nurtures love and mutual support; it brings stability to our society.  For those who choose to marry, and for their children, marriage provides an abundance of legal, financial, and social benefits.  In return it imposes weighty legal, financial, and social obligations…. Without question, civil marriage enhances the “welfare of the community.” It is a “social institution of the highest importance.”….  Marriage also bestows enormous private and social advantages on those who choose to marry.  Civil marriage is at once a deeply personal commitment to another human being and a highly public celebration of the ideals of mutuality, companionship, intimacy, fidelity, and family….  Because it fulfills yearnings for security, safe haven, and connection that express our common humanity, civil marriage is an esteemed institution, and the decision whether and whom to marry is among life’s momentous acts of self-definition.
 Goodridge vs. Department of Health

The book of love is long and boring; no one can lift the damn thing. It's full of charts and facts and figures, and instructions for dancing, but I, I love it when you read to me and you, you can read me anything.

The book of love has music in it.  In fact that's where music comes from.  Some of it is just transcendental.  Some of it is just really dumb, but I, I love it when you sing to me and you, you can sing me anything.

The book of love is long and boring, and written very long ago.  It's full of flowers and heart-shaped boxes, and things we're all too young to know, but I, I love it when you give me things and you, you ought to give me wedding rings.

I love it when you give me things and you ought to give me wedding rings.
The Book of Love, The Magnetic Fields  


Who stands for and blesses this marriage?
We do.


I love you.  You are my best friend.  Today I give myself to you in marriage.   I promise to encourage and inspire you, to laugh with you, and to comfort you in times of sorrow and struggle.  I promise to love you in good times and in bad, when life seems easy and when it seems hard, when our love is simple, and when it is an effort.  I promise to cherish you, and to always hold you in highest regard.

I take you to be my partner and my husband/wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, from this day forward until death do us part.

These things I give to you today, and all the days of our life.


  

0 comments:

Post a Comment