Friday, January 4, 2013

In which I set up the nativity after Christmas.

I didn't put out the nativity for Christmas because 1) I'm not a Christian, and 2) like we need more Christmas decorations laying on top of every surface in this house.  

I saved the creche from the ruble of family home when my parents divorced.  At the time, I wasn't even sure Mom had kept the nativity.  I couldn't find the nativity in the stuff let behind, but there sat the creche.  I didn't realize it at the time, but our other nativity -- hand-painted by my Aunt Clea -- did get left behind.  I learned this years later when visiting our hometown.  I found parts of it at a barn sale, my aunts signature on the bottom of the pieces.  

Maybe it's because I'm really attached to it.  Maybe it's because I miss Mom, and even more, I miss my family.  Or maybe it's just regular old childhood nostalgia.  

Anyway.  Today I took the ornaments off the tree, took the garland off from over the doors, and then as I packed those up, unwrapped a piece of the nativity, just to give it a look -- the shepherd boy.  Before I knew it, they were all unwrapped and setup on top of a cabinet speaker.  Just like home.

Will I do this with our kids?  Will Annie do it with hers?

Oh, and the hands are now broken off two of the wise men, so that's an extra touch.

0 comments:

Post a Comment