Thursday, January 17, 2013

So far this year:

One book read (slow, I know): Darkly Dreaming Dexter.

I have a stack of books from Salvation Army.  They've had lot of good books lately.  I feel self conscious admitting that yeah, I liked Darkly Dreaming Dexter and group it as good.  The other thrift store books are a bit classier, but man, this was like crack.  I need to start using the library again.

Amy has just completed her  year-long David Sedaris bender, and also a whole stack of Judy Blume books that I didn't order, so I can only assume my mom did, and that when I dropped the ball on adding new books to her queu of audio books from Library of Congress, these made their way to the top.  Cue tears.

Girlfriend loves her some depressing books, so depressing books I got her.  She just finished Catcher in the Rye, and Slaughter House Five.  Now is reading The Liar's Club, which looked to be in the same vein as Glass Castle, which she LOVED.  Up next  -- a whole lot of John Irving (Hotel New Hampshire and Cider House Rules -- she read A Prayer for Owen Meany last year), more Vonnegut (Breakfast of Champions), To Kill a Mockingbird, and Lifetime movie sounding book about a girl whose mom has Munchausen Syndrome by proxy (she'll LOVE it).  Amy is aiming for 18 books this year.

Five (at least... I'm trying to remember) new recipes:

  • Latkes (recipe from the PPK) on New Years Day
  • with homemade vegan sour cream -- used very bottom of bottle of apple cider vinegar, also may have doubled the ACV and lemon.  Verged on a little too much ACV, but sooo tasty.  Used firm regular tofu (not silken) that I pressed some moisture out of.  The sour cream was nice and stiff, even with the extra ACV and lemon.  
  • Nom nom nom dal -- good enough, and lot of good tips on making perfect dal, but I'll find a better recipe
  • Okra Fry - A++ - and worked fine with frozen okra despite the recipes warnings about moisture. Just rinsed frost off with cool tap water and tossed then in hot oil.  Didn't have any kitchen king masala, so threw in a pink of nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, pepper, and coriander seeds in its place.  Desperate to eat this one next time -- Bendakaya Vepudu.  ALL THE OKRA ALL THE TIME.
  • Chocolate Chip Cookies from the PPK, featuring veg oil rather than butter and the chemical reaction of sugar and oil.  First batch weren't quite right, but on a lovely lady's advice, skimped on oil (half instead of a third cup) -- WAY better.  And they need to cook just a bit longer that described.  Also, I skimped on chocolate chips -- I always do.  I hate too much chocolate in a cookie. 

3 comments:

Monica B said...

Honey, there is no such thing as too much chocolate in cookies. =)

MsMolly said...

She'll definitely love The Liar's Club! You would too, actually. There's a lot of great swearing and other Texas craziness. :) The sequel, Cherry, is really good too.

Allison said...

Molly, I'll put Cherry on the list. She looooooves some crazy.

Monica, I dont like my sweets too sweet, I'm a not-sweet pies and "butter" cookies kind of girl. When there is too much chocolate in a cookie, I feel like I can't taste the cookie!

Post a Comment